Second TLD is functional, www.armyportraits.com. Mail works through Webmin which is good enough for right meow. Dovecot is kinda a piece of crap.
It’s been a lot of fun trying to figure out how to run Zen Platypus on a VPS located thousands of miles away from my current location in Hawaii. Can I do it? Yes. Is it easy? Hell no. I flip-flopped back and forth from Linux to FreeBSD (mostly because of technical issues with FreeBSD and WordPress), but now that I’ve overcome those issues, I’m pretty sure ZP is here to stay. BSD is bulletproof, WordPress is not, so here’s to not getting hacked in 2015!
Things to do: Postfix is crap, even more so than Sendmail. Must get mail working. Virtual domains would be nice since I have two other TLD’s.
All kinds of infrastructure changes since we moved here. I mothballed the Cisco Aironet 1152 and replaced it with two Ubiquiti UAPs (both cost half as much as one Aironet), replaced my aging laptop with a Precision M6400 with 16GB or RAM and 2 120GB SSD running RAID 0, a Dell PowerEdge 840 running VMWare ESX server (dedicated Unreal Tournament server, among other things) and an Intel NUC, which replaced the bedroom media server that died shortly after getting here. My home network is, for the most part, pretty badass.
I also bought a 1986 Camaro which will be a work in progress for the foreseeable future. Mia’s first car, hopefully.
Looks like I better get to work on that screenplay that’s been bouncing around in my head for the last year…
Probably the longest downtime I have experienced. Truthfully, I really didn’t care that much. We’re settled in Hawaii and I’m back to my old tech shenanigans. More to follow
So the past few months have been crazy. Leaving Fort Lewis (thank God) and am on leave in AZ. Life is in the air.
The one thing I hate most about PCS moves is the Army has a tendency to break my tech toys en route to my new duty station. PITA.
Ran into an issue with updating the kid’s computer today. For the life of me (and probably because I bounce back from FreeBSD to Linux, I could not remember the commands to run on Linux to make the problem go away. Google fixed the problem for me, so here it is in case I forget:
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update
So, I use TMM on Linux to manage an ever-expanding collection of… Media. It works, but because of some disparity between that and Metabrowser on my wife’s Win7 laptop I’ve got all kinds of standards going on in there. XBMC on the OpenElec computers doesn’t really care and just seems to throw up whatever when browsing the collections, so I’ve decided to start from scratch and re-download all the artwork, box covers, etc. The following snippet will run through a directory tree and get rid of things you don’t want anymore:
find /volume1/whatever-name "what-we-want-to-delete" -type d -print0 | xargs -0 rm -r
I assume if you type nothing between the quotes, you’ll probably be pleasantly surprised when your diskstation finishes the command and you have nothing left on it. And by pleasantly surprised I mean homicidally furious.
I got a few off-brand MCE remotes thinking they were genuine Microsoft remotes. Should have known when the eBay robot sent me a shipping update from China that they were not. Anyway, they are laggy as hell and I often have to hit a button repeatedly to get something to work. The following commands did not fix the problem, but did fix some keymapping issues I was having:
wget -O .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml http://cloud.github.com/downloads/jenkins101/xbmc/userdata_remote.xml
wget -O .xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml http://cloud.github.com/downloads/jenkins101/xbmc/Lircmap.xml
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.